Every year, RCMP officers are called to scenes where snowmobilers have been badly injured or have lost their lives. Last year, six Manitobans died in snowmobile collisions. This year, we want everyone to ride safe while enjoying the outdoors so they make it home safely to their families.
Here are some tips to help keep snowmobilers safe this winter:
• Know your abilities and ride within your limits. This will allow you to always be in control of your snowmobile.
• Always check the weather conditions before you leave.
• Always ride in groups and let people know where you’re going, the route you will be taking, and when you expect to return.
• Always wear protective clothing, including a helmet, gloves, and eye protection. Wear layers of clothing to keep warm and dry.
• When possible, avoid crossing bodies of water. If you are crossing bodies of water, be cautious of ice thickness, never ride in single file, and wear a life jacket over your outer clothing.
• Ride sober. Don't drink or consume drugs before or while snowmobiling.